site stats

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Home Sweet Home : Juicing

Lately, we have been falling sick a lot. I suspect it is due to our constant exposure to sick people in crowded trains and buses. The transport conditions are not within my control. As such, I have been thinking of ways to boost the immunity of everyone at home so we can be more resistant to getting infected.

That's when I was introduced to raw foods and juicing. Here are two interesting articles on raw foods:
1. Why switch to living foods diet?
2. Raw Foods and enzymes
I don't fully agree with their arguements but I thought most of them are valid.

I don't really fancy raw meat so I thought increasing our intake on raw fruits and vegetable will be a good start. That started me out researching on a suitable juicer. I talked to friends who were juicing regularly already and found that low speed masticating juicers are better than high speed centrifugal juicers. This article Juicers, Blenders and Dehydraters explains why.

However, the good low speed juicers were way out of my budget. Fortunately, I chanced on a very affordable hand crank juicer. I immediately know that was what I needed.

Now I juice about 4 times a week. (I wish I had the time and energy to do it everyday.)


Here is my effort in juicing 4 apples, 2 carrots, half a beetroot, 3 sticks of celery and 1 clove of garlic. This gives about 800 ml of pure juice. Each of us, thus have about 200 ml of juice for breakfast. This is on top of what we normally consume; not replacing anything that was in our regular diet.

Other items I sometimes add into my juices are cucumber, bean spouts, wheatgrass (only masticating juicers can juice this), mint leaves etc. Just about anything healthy sounding can be added in. I love concocting different juices every time.

You may say, why not eat them, instead of juicing them. Well, try chewing on some beetroot, carrot or celery and let just see if you find them particularly palatable or see how long your jaws can last before they ache. I think your tummies would also be so full you'll not be able to stomach anything else! We want the nutrition, without our stomachs having to process through all that fibre. Don't get me wrong. We definitely need a healthy dose of fibre in our diets. But there is a limit to how much fibre we can have in our diets. Afterall, we are not cows.

I have been juicing for about a month now and I feel our immunity DID improve. So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...